A peaceful Boston suburb, Needham is known for its welcoming atmosphere, its lovely historic homes, and its expansive parks.
A suburb of Boston, Needham has a population of about 28,800. Most Needham residents commute to Boston, but the local economy also includes a Coca-Cola bottling plant and a Trader Joe's packing plant. Many of the homes in Needham are historic. These and other historic properties are largely preserved by the Needham Historical Society, which has educated the public about the area's history since 1915.
- Needham families are served by the Needham Public Schools district, which has one high school, two middle schools, and five elementary schools.
- The Newman School offers an integrated preschool program. Pre-K education is also available at Pine Village Preschool.
- Boston Magazine ranked Needham High School sixteenth on its 2016 list of the best public high schools in Massachusetts.
- Needham is home to Olin College of Engineering, an acclaimed institution known for its hands-on approach to learning.
- The Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority (MBTA) serves the Needham area, which has four MBTA commuter rail stops.
- MBTA's Route 59 bus connects Needham to Watertown via Newtonville.
- Major routes for drivers include Interstate 95, Route 135, and Central Avenue.
Recreation and Culture
- Cutler Park has several walking trails and is also a popular destination for birdwatchers, canoers, and mountain bikers.
- DeFazio Park has both grass and synthetic fields, three diamonds, a playground, and a picnic area.
- The Needham Golf Club has been a hot spot since 1923. The nine-hole golf course has a practice putting green and excellent facilities for weddings, parties, and other events.
- For indoor recreation, residents turn to Needham Bowlaway, which offers eight lanes of unique candlepin bowling.
- Talented community members come together to put on entertaining productions at the Needham Community Theatre.
Square Miles: 13
Distance to Boston: 10 miles
Population Density: 2,185 persons/sq mile
Number of Households: 10,612
Average Age: 43 Years
Median Income: $139,477
Average Time to Work: 29.8
Student Enrollment: 5,656
Expenditure Per Student: $17,438
- Elementary: 5 neighborhood
- Middle: 1 central
- High: 1 central